Wed, 15 July|
Behind the Scenes - workshop (face to face option)
Get to know more about gambling harm and how it impacts your community. Brainstorm project ideas.
Time & Location
15 July 2020, 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
About the event
I wonder if you know how damaging problem gambling can be to people in your community?
It wasn’t until I started working on our Network’s application to the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation Prevention Partnership funding, and started listening to the lived experience of people with a gambling addiction and their family and friends, that I realised how insidious and damaging gambling can be.
The Behind the Scenes at the Neighbourhood House project gives you the chance to understand the issue more fully, and do something about it. It will give you resources and support to develop and trial local initiatives, and use what you learn to engage more effectively with other hard to reach cohorts. The workshop is to help you understand the issue more fully and will also give you the opportunity to brainstorm project ideas with your colleagues.
This workshop is for Neighbourhood House Staff, Committees and Volunteers and will include the following:
- Why Neighbourhood Houses are ideally positioned to reduce the impact of gambling related harm in our communities
- An introduction to Gambling and Gambling Harm Risk Factors
- An introduction to the impacts of Gambling Related Harm
- A presentation by Carolyn Crawford – who has lived experience - Here is an article about her https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-19/my-pokies-addiction-landed-me-in-jail/11794576?nw=0
- A presentation by Jody Riordan from the Gamblers Help Service – Gateway Health Organisation
- Outline of the Seed Funding Process ($3,000 to each participating house) and brainstorming session on what you could do with your seed funding.
You only need to attend one of the training sessions.