Wed, 23 Mar|
Open Door Neighbourhood House
Introduction to Asset Based Community Development
Re-imagine, re-invigorate, reconnect! Learn to work smarter, not harder using the ABCD approach!
Time & Location
23 Mar 2022, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Open Door Neighbourhood House, 61 Burke St, Wangaratta VIC 3677, Australia
About the event
Let's face it - the last two years have been hard work! Are you feeling tired, and maybe a bit over things? Then don't miss this exciting opportunity!
This face to face workshop will introduce you to the basics of Asset Based Community Development. Through participatory practice, discussion and stories, you will have the opportunity to -
- re-imagine what your neighbourhood house might do to really meet the needs of your community,
- re-connect with your community through innovative community development approaches, and
- re-invigorate yourself and others in your organisation through energetic and robust discussion!
Delivered by Michelle Dunscombe and Dee Brooks from the Jeder Institute, highly experienced community development practitioners from the Jeder Institute.
What is Asset Based Community Development?
Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) is a globally adopted approach that recognises and builds on the strengths, gifts, talents and resources of individuals and communities to create strong, inclusive, and sustainable communities. ABCD is a powerful approach to community engagement and development that focuses on abilities and potential, rather than problems and deficits by discovering the resources that are already present in a community. Discovering community strengths is a powerful and productive way to address problems and realise a collective vision. By building relationships and creating the space for opportunities to emerge, community members become powerful and are more in control of their own decision making.
Asset Based Community Development:
- Focuses on community assets and strengths rather than problems and needs
- ABCD is place based and locally led
- Identifies and mobilises community and individual assets, skills, and passions
- Is built on community leadership
- Builds relationships
About the Jeder Institute
The Jeder Institute supports authentic social change through increased community engagement and participation. Our aim is to engage, inspire and activate your organisation &/or community to produce the following outcomes:
- Skills and tools to support a connected community
- Community members who are empowered by strengthened relationships
- A shift in organisational and community mindset to one of positive discovery
Our underpinning philosophy is based on the belief that everybody has skills and abilities and that there is no one we don’t need to fulfil the potential in all of us.